Monday, January 14, 2013

First Post!


Hey guys!  This is my very first blog post so that is exciting!  My blog is going to be centered mostly around Peru and traveling to Peru.  It will also serve as a source to update people on how my research is going.

While getting my undergraduate degree at Indiana Wesleyan University, I went on a Medical Missions trip to the Amazon Jungle in Peru, through Global Partners.  I fell in love with the people and culture of that area and have been going back ever since.  My desire is to become a Medical Doctor, specializing in Internal Medicine and Tropical Health so I can continue leading and taking trips to the Peruvian Amazon to hold clinics and ultimately decrease rates of morbidity and mortality in the region.

At the end of May through the first week in June, I am going on another Medical Mission trip to the same area.  Currently I am getting a Master's degree in Public Health with a concentration in Global Health from Wright State University.  As part of my degree I am to do a research project, so while I am in Peru I am going to be gathering data regarding needed medications and parasitic disease prevalence in the region, as well as utilizing demographic and parasitic disease rates to determine possible interventions that could decrease rates of reinfection.

My following posts will begin with history, planning a trip, travel needs, and more updates on my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts here at Passport To Travel Peru

Be sure to check back because I do try to reply to your comments here